This past weekend, I sat down an trimmed a lot of the fat off of my Tivo’s season pass manager.
I went from about 70-80 season passes to about 25.
Now, what was deleted?
About 25% of the season passes that were deleted were for shows that I had thought I would watch, but never did. I just kept deleting them from the tivo without watching them.
Another 20% were for shows that were in constant reruns, and I had seen all of them. Shows like Reno 911,The David C. show, and Law & Order SVU.
I expected the 45% above to be just regular upkeep on the old tivo. But what I didn’t expect was the other 55% of passes I deleted.
All of these 55% were wishlists of some sort. For those of you who don’t own a Tivo, wishlists are basically smart searchs that look for certain criteria in your entire channel listing, and record matching programs. So, for example, I had an Al Pacino wishlist, so my Tivo would go out and record anything with Al Pacino in it. It’s pretty cool.
But what I figured out was that I wasn’t getting enough value from these wishlists. For example, I don’t have any movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc… So any movie taped is off of a regular station, and thus is edited. I don’t watch edited movies. So they are deleted. Well combine that with my earlier post about my tivo’s memory, and you can see why some of these wishlists are just a waste of time.
Also, and I hate to say it, sometimes you have just seen everything you could from someone. John Turturro from my Walken Effect post is an example of this. I have seen all the stuff I could see, so everything else is a rerun. So it’s just deleted.
So, to sum it all up:
1. I have no un-edited movie channels, so the movies that are snagged are deleted.
2. At some point I have seen everything someone has done, so it’s deleted.
3. All of this takes up space on my To-Do list. Space that could be used for something else. So, it’s a double waste.
4. Add the fact that TV frequently doesn’t follow a published time schedule, resulting in recordings that are incorrectly recording the preceding show.
The result? Tivo’s guide service is less attractive to me.
Although, since I paid the lifetime subscription, all of this really doesn’t matter. But if I can help someone thinking about buying a Tivo, then so be it.