Well, it happened on Monday. An article that I wrote about two months ago about running Visual Studio.NET under OS X using Parallels was posted to the front page of Slashdot. Good thing I moved my blog a few months ago to TypePad, otherwise my internet connection would have been saturated. The resulting onslaught of traffic went roughly as follows:
- About 13,000 PageViews ( According to Google Analytics ). I say about, because I actually think my dashboard on TypePad reset after about 12000 page views. Strange. I had to fall back to Google Analytics ( which I may do a review of in the future ).
- My post got onto the front page of del.icio.us and into the popular section.
- I was part of LarkWare’s Daily Grind for the second time.
- The number of subscribers of my RSS feed went from averaging around 50 a day to almost 900 on Monday.
- I was bombarded with people im’ing me and emailing me telling me I was being slashdotted.
The only bad part of it was now my stats are skewed. It’s doubtful that i’ll have 13k + pageviews again, so now all of the metrics for my blog point sharply on Monday, then drop off like a stock chart on Black Tuesday. Oh well, I’ll deal.Sadly, all of the above traffic didn’t result in cash, as apparently slashdotters don’t click ads 🙁
Oh well, I will have to return to the programming doldrums…